Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Mexican White Supremacists and other 7th grade happenings

So this is not funny, it is rather horrible. But, it is also funny because it is so stupid and it's like the Dave Chapelle sketch has finally come to life right before my very eyes in my own classroom! Recently, a fellow teacher confiscated a paper airplane created by three-four students on our team. This airplane had some especially disturbing/entertaining (depending on how you view it) designs on it. And by designs, I mean swastikas! Elaborate ones! Swastikas that clearly had time and effort put into them. (Keep in mind that I can't even elicit this kind of effort from these kids on their warm-ups let alone major assignments). Now, I have 150 students and only two of them are white. The rest are Mexican, Native, or Black. Ready for the kicker? The swastika airplane was taken from 4 of my Mexican students. Confusing? I think so. I'm not sure how it's possible that they've been in MY class since August and think that Swastikas are okay, but I'm also confused on this fact- do they not realize that Mexicans cannot be in the White Supremacist club? Not only are they uninvited, they are vehemently abhorred. Somehow this fact has been lost on my four little anti-semite students who I can only conclude think that Swastikas mean anti-Jew without realizing Swastikas are anti everyone. When I tell my students not to do something, they sometimes think it's because it's against school rules or it offends me personally. While both of those things are true in this case, the real point is that my students are making themselves look like complete morons. SO my question for you is...how can I facilitate a realization in my students that Swastika drawing, confederate flag waving Nazis do not like them? I wish to remain silent so that students don't continue drawing this stuff in an effort to be defiant. Plus, I've already spoken my peace on this kind of stuff. What could I get away with having them read that would deliver the message loud and clear? If you have an idea that works, I'll try my hardest to capture their shocked little faces. Thank you so much dear readers. I hope this post has been simultaneously hilarious and disturbing.

5 comments:

Rachel Steed said...

Oh wow. Hmm. What age group do you teach? How old are these kids? Do you think they actually knew what they were drawing, or just thought the symbol had a cool shape? Depending on how old they are, you could talk about symbols/symbolism and their inherent power. Start out with symbols for happy things and things they would recognize, then transition into symbols with more serious meanings and talk about how they stand for things you don't tolerate in your classroom, such as hatred, intolerance, or discrimination. These subjects are always rough to deal with in teaching, I think - good luck!

Taylor and Dean said...

thanks for the advice rach! My mom said something similar. I don't think they realize the full range of implications it had. My hypothesis is that they see it is a way to demonstrate their "toughness" and that the irony of the situation is completely lost on them.

Marissa Waddell said...

um wow. that's a littly bit hilarious and a lot disturbing. don't know what to say there.

Diana said...

I can't quit thinking about this post. After attending juvenile court for a semester, I have learned that most of the time kids just aren't thinking! I wish I had some brilliant advice for you, but I don't. Rachel's suggestions seem pretty good though. Good luck and let us know how you decide to handle the situation!

danniey said...

I say just show a good documentary about Nazis, the Ku Klux Klan, or other white supremacy groups/groups who espouse hatred. I think if they had a sense of the reality of evils behind those symbols, they would not think it's cool to pretend to be like them.

It may be harsh, but it may be the information they need to separate it out between things that teachers just don't want to you to do and things that a society/humankind will crumble due to.